lunes, 22 de abril de 2013

CONCLUSION

MODAL VERBS AND THEIR

MEANING


What are modal verbs?

Modals (also called modal verbs, modal auxiliary verbs, modal auxiliaries) are special verbs which behave irregularly in English. They are different from normal verbs like "work, play, visit..." They are used to indicate modality. They give additional information about thefunction of the main verb that follows it. They have a great variety of communicative functions.

Use of modal verbs:

Modal verbs are used to express functions such as:
  1. Permission
  2. Ability
  3. Obligation
  4. Prohibition
  5. Lack of necessity
  6. Advice
  7. possibility
  8. probability

Remember

Modal verbs are followed by an infinitive without "to".



Modal VerbMeaningExpressingExample

must

to have to100 % obligationI must stop when the traffic lights turn red.
to be very probablelogical conclusion (deduction)He must be very tired after such enormous work

must not

not to be allowed toprohibitionYou must not smoke in the hospital.

can

to be able toabilityI can swim
to be allowed topermissionCan I use your phone please?
it is possiblepossibilitySmoking can cause cancer !

could

to be able toability in the pastWhen I was younger I could stay up all night and not get tired..
to be allowed tomore polite permissionExcuse me, could I just say something?
it is possiblepossibilityIt could rain tomorrow!

may

to be allowed topermissionMay I use your phone please?
it is possible, probablepossibility, probabilityIt may rain tomorrow!

might

to be allowed tomore polite permissionMight I use your phone please?
it is possible, probableweak possibility, probabilityI might come and visit you in America next year, if I can save enough money.

need

necessarynecessityNeed I say more?

need not

not necessarylack of necessity/absence of obligationI need not buy any tomatoes. There are plenty in the fridge.

should/ought to

used to say or ask what is the correct or best thing to do50 % obligationI should / ought to see a doctor. I have a terrible headache.
to suggest an action or to show that it is necessaryadviceYou should / ought to revise your lessons
to be very probablelogical conclusion (deduction)He should / ought to be very tired after such enormous work

had better

to suggest an action or to show that it is necessaryadviceYou 'd better revise your lessons


Examples

  • There is plenty of tomatoes in the fridge. You needn't buy any.
  • It's a hospital. You mustn't smoke.
  • He had been working for more than 11 hours. He must be tired after such haed work. He may prefer to get some rest.
  • I could speak Arabic fluently when I was a child and we lived in Morocco. But after we moved back to Canada, I had very little exposure to the language and forgot almost everything I knew as a child. Now, I canjust say a few things in the language.
  • The teacher said we can read this book for our own pleasure as it is optional. But we can read it if we don't want to.
  • Canyou stand on your head for more than a minute? No, I can't.
  • If you want to learn to speak English fluently, you need to work hard. .
  • Take an umbrella. It might rain later.
  • You shouldn't leave small objects lying around . Such objects may be swallowed by children.
  • People mustn't walk on grass.
  • Drivers must stop when the traffic lights are red.
  • May I ask a question? Yes, of course.
  • You needn't take your umbrella. It is not raining.
  • Can you speak Italian? No, I can't.
  • No hay comentarios:

    Publicar un comentario